Tuesday 22 August 2017

My Electric 10

Someone asked me a few months back, what will you do if there is no electricity? I laughed and thought how this is even relevant in today’s time. Who wants to even think of this? We are in the 21st century and why will we even wonder this? Aren’t we developed enough to ensure electricity as a basic need is provided to everyone?

That’s when he told me- you are forgetting the villages, summers in Delhi and rains when anything can go wrong. I was quick to realize- I was wrong!

“I can’t imagine what I will do. No Electricity is equal to darkness, sadness, oh my life will end!” I panicked.

But then, I saw my younger self, barely 10 or 11, looking content and not worried about all this. How did I live that phase in my childhood with no inverters and no electricity? How was life so much fun then?

Those dark nights, sleeping under the starry sky with parents and siblings, that I fondly remember, wasn’t that all because there was no electricity for days? There are so many villages where electricity is still a privilege.

And that’s when I thought Life is so much fun; it can be so electric without electricity and made my list- ‘My Electric 10, when there is no Electricity’
  1. Why not hold hubby’s hand and tell him he is special? A candle light dinner will make it even more romantic. I shall try it out; the romantic in me tells me it will be awesome!
  2. How about some me time? Sit in the balcony and do nothing. Come on, there is no electricity; I need to chill for some time. And for company- make Maggi, well that will not help with the heat. But come on, Maggi can solve a million problems, right. 
  3. For a change, no news on television. I am sure dad will be so restless to know what is happening in UP with Yogi Adityanath or what is Kejriwal accusing Modiji of. I’ll call up dad and ask him how his day was. I am sure he will feel super happy and give Yogi Adityanath, Kejriwal and Modiji a break.
  4. Go out for a walk, the breeze will be refreshing. Go to the park and take a quick walk. Even if it’s not breezy but sunny in the afternoon or dark in the night, a tree in the park will make the weather just fine.
  5. Any time stress buster- Shopping OR watch a movie at the Mall? Malls do have invertors and generators + Retail therapy- it always works!
  6. Call up my friends and talk to them-Is that guy still stalking her? How is the kid? Is the mom-in-law nagging her? OK, let’s talk about maids. They are the most important person in a woman’s life after all.
  7. If its day grab a pen- sit and write OR pick up the pencils and the sketch book and get set go! There is no better way to express you than these.
  8. Blind people have always had a special place in my heart. I would like to try my hand at ‘brail’. I have never tried that. Let’s feel how they feel. Let’s learn the way they learn.
  9. Book a cab and head to a relative’s place. I may not catch up with them regularly, but random plans like these always end up to be so much fun.
  10. The best of all- horror stories. This is my all-time favourite. All you need is a start and then everyone will have something to share.. hoo hoo… Can’t wait!


So, jot down your 10 things.

Recall- When was the last time you laughed at something which annoyed you a lot. Make a list of how you will handle that? As they say- when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

So get your checklist ready for the next time there is no electricity!

But hey, keep you torch or candles ready and keep your phones charged before you plan anything. J
Start living now. Electricity or No Electricity- life is what you make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment